A New County is found!

In the commonwealth of Massachusetts, in the county of Middlesex, just 13 short miles from downtown Boston, home of the American Revolution, a different kind of revolt has taken place and I need all my smoke loving friends to know about it. Consider me the Paul Revere of BBQ...the Bison are coming, the Bison are coming.

You see my carnivorous friends, somehow, beneath our very noses a new county as been adopted in Massachusetts and it is call BISON COUNTY. Hidden on Moody Street in Waltham is the Bison County Bar and Grill and I have already applied for citizenship. I stopped in for lunch and I couldn't possibly spend a Tuesday Afternoon on Moody Street with out a reference to the Moody Blues now could I? As great as The Moody Blues are, this
Moody Street Smokery will have you singing for days.
I was tipped off to this new county by a Firefighter/EMT who suggested that The Bone Bag make a trip there and as I always say, if your looking for advice on food, talk to a First Responder, these guys will never let you down. A quick shout out here to all the men and women who keep us safe every day, you are so worthy of our respect and honor. Leave it to a fire fighter to follow the smoke and lead me to this new land in the city of Waltham.


Walking into Bison County is like stepping back in time to an old west saloon, with a beautiful wooden bar loaded with fresh beer taps from brewery's across the globe. The atmosphere is so welcoming, we were greeted with a smile and a welcome to Bison County and seated at a table near the bar with a great view of the bustling Moody Street. As if I needed any other sign that I had arrived in the right place, a Yuengling Beer truck pulled up and made a delivery, yup, this is the place for me. The driver had on a shirt that said Beer Guy in the back, ya I need one of those.

Unlike some food critics who hide behind a vale of secrecy, Bone Bag Matt is proud, large and loud, and love it when I am recognized. (I have been mistaken for David Wells and Rick from Pawn Stars for years). I was so impressed with my first impression of @Bison County that I posted a quick note on my Instagram and didn't the chef see it! He sent us out a sample of his famous Smoked Pork Belly with Sriracha Pineapple Glaze. The last time I saw a belly hanging like this was when Bath-fitters put that new shower mirror in my house. The flavors of this are almost impossible to put into words. The heat of the warm sriracha blended perfectly with the citrus of the pineapple and the smoke of the pork make this a must have order. Do not miss this, when you go, and I know you will, order this before anything else so you do not forget, it is that good. Thank you chef, it was amazing.
My dining partner went somewhere I never ever go, to the lunch menu, and ordered a Cuban sandwich. Actually one of my most favorite sandwiches is a Cuban so I was more than happy to take a taste of this one. The chef at Bison County puts his own twist on the Cuban by using smoked pork. The result is a sandwich that would make Fidel smile. Paired with a mac and cheese
that may be the best version on the planet, the strings of cheese would reach from the bowl to your mouth with every bite. House made dill pickles, candied onions and a mustard dipping sauce completed the plate that
actually made me think I could be missing something by not checking out the lunch menus.

Fortunately for me, I did, as you would expect, turn past the lunch menu and hit the big time. Ribs and Brisket combo with brisket beans and cucumber salad. Slow smoked brisket was flavorful and tender and paired with a mustard based sauce that was out of this world. The ribs were finger sticking good and had a nice bite to the sauce that was not over powering but let you know you had tasted something special. The portion was so big
I had to box some of it up for the trip home...seriously some of it never made it home (yes, I have a problem).
@Bison County at 275 Moody Street in Waltham, MA is a county you must visit this summer and make sure you tell them The Bone Bag sent you!
For more about @Bison County visit our FB Page @The Bone Bag
Find us on Instagram @bonebagmatt
No comments:
Post a Comment
I look forward to hearing from everyone about my blog and with suggestions for future visits! Thanks so much for spending some time in The Bone Bag