A Carnivores Carnival!
Welcome to part two of my feedback on the Sun BBQ fest from Mohegan Sun Casino in CT. Last week, I told you all about many of the products and services showcased at the event, today is all about the food and the people who devote their considerable time and talents to showcase what they produce. Think this is easy? Think again. These people do this for the love of the craft, they, for the most part, do not run restaurants- they are professionals in other things and pack up the Winnebago and hit the open road with smokers in tow to bring people like us a chance to taste the wonders they produce. They say when you do something you love, it shows, while never was that statement more
true than when used on the people I am about to tell you about.
Most of the smokers were cranked up by 4:00AM this morning, at which time I was deep into a dream of dancing pigs obediently offering up there ribs and loins to me as a Burnt offering to the Bone Bag. Seriously, am I the only one who dreams of smoke and meat? OK, maybe I am the only one who will admit to such dreams. I am too damn old to change who I am now anyway. The first step is admitting you have a problem, the second step (for me anyway) is embracing that problem!

I started my journey at Smokin' Bulldogs, and spoke with Sharon, who turned out to be from my area of Massachusetts. As I told you, these people do this for the thrill of the challenge and the love of the smoke. Last year, she was nursing herself to health after a back surgery left her in a wheel chair. This summer, her and her husband are back on the road and offering up amazingly sweet and tangy pulled pork. The name comes from a family of United State Marines and Massachusetts State Police veterans. We thank you for your service to
our state, our country and most importantly to my belly!

My next stop was my homage to Sir Mix A Lot who proudly sang to the world that He Likes Big Butts, well you know what? So do I. That is why I was so drawn to Burnt Offering's and their sign that proudly proclaims "Best Butts in New England." They were serving up this smoked meat "Sunday" in a cup with layers of potatoes, brisket, pulled pork and it was simply out of this world. Every bite left you wanting just a little more and like that Ice Cream Sunday, you just had to scrape the bottom of the cup to make sure you got it all.


Like any good carnival, you even had hawkers like Emerson, Lake and Palmer yelling 'Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends" and today we had someone yelling out "Who wants a slice of heaven or a slice of hell?" Like a giant magnet pulling me from the plate in my end, I was drawn in by her voice and the images of actually tasting heaven. There I was in front of Greenwitch Que, a BBQ team with so many awards they needed an extra table to hold the trophies. The slice of heaven turned out to be a sausage stuffed with peppers , onions and cheese basted in a home made BBQ sauce. Slice of hell was the same only basted
hot (underline hot and make it red) sauce. Both items were very aptly named and were simply delicious. They also served wings that would fly your taste buds to heaven for your slice! I have no doubt at all that they are going to need a bigger trophy table.
in secret


My question to everyone up here in the North is why doesn't any one smoke beef ribs? While the gods of smoke and wood chips heard my question and sent me to visit Rhode Hog BBQ where I was able to satisfy my craving for smoked beef and my desire to feel like Fred Flintstone, by walking

around with a Brontosaurus rib. If I had my Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo's Hat with me, I would have tipped it to you, oh smokers of beef on bone. Topped with just a drizzle of mustard sauce, I had to find a seat to enjoy my rib...(truth be told I was dizzy with delight and afraid I would drop her).


I tasted so many fantastic items, I am sure I will miss some and I do not mean to slight anyone. You are all award winners to me, keep doing what you do, cause you do it so very good. Aporkalyypse Now wins my vote for best name and logo, a close second was Boo Boo Qued with the giant spider on the side of the booth. Goin' Deep and Paddy McQ's served up amazing food, I just loved the bacon
wrapped meat balls! Chicken Chokers, Backyard Smokers and the
Smoketorious P.I.G. all made for the best day a smoked meat maniac like me could every ask for. Thank you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment
I look forward to hearing from everyone about my blog and with suggestions for future visits! Thanks so much for spending some time in The Bone Bag