This week, we celebrate Independence day here in the United States. Yes, that is correct, the holiday is called Independence day, not the 4th of July. Am I the only one who says Happy Independence Day? Do you say Merry December 25th? Sorry... I don't mean to be snippet but this is the national day of BBQ in my book. It is a history rich day of celebration, in which Americans celebrate our Declaration of Independence signed on July 2nd (that is correct not the 4th) 1776. Look it up.
Here's a few things you may not want to look up as I am just pulling this out of my you know what, but I think these are some fun facts you can surprise your friends and family with around the campfire and smokers this week.The art of smoking meat goes all the way back to the Native Americans, I am not sure who to give the credit to, but someone was smart enough to take the Buffalo and put a stick up its butt and hang it over a smokey fire. You know it happened, I know it happened, why am I the only one thinking about this? I don't know your name, but I salute you my fire loving friend.
You know the story of George Washington cutting down the Cherry Tree right? But I bet you didn't know the reason he did was he knew that the smoke form a cherry tree would curl around his best cuts of meat and make them mouth watering good. It's true, as far as you know, and it goes along with the other story of his famous wooden teeth. Also cut from the same tree that he chipped up for his smoker, he so loved the taste of the cherry wood that he wanted the flavor to last forever. Kind of makes you see why they would choose this guy as father of our country, he knew!
The right to fire up the back yard smoker is as American as Independence day, in fact, I personally feel very strongly that we should pass a law demanding everyone get out from behind their desks, shut of the boob tube, grab some seasonings and a loin of meat and start up the smokers every Independence day. Break free from day to day life and say thanks to the founding fathers who made this great nation what it is today. As "the Boss" Bruce Springsteen sang "all men must make there way come Independence day." So what I would like to challenge all my Carnivorous friends to do this holiday week, is to share your pictures, your stories and your recipes
with the Bone Bag, so next weekend, I can share them with everyone. Tag us on Facebook or send us pictures on Instagram @TheBoneBag, and break away. Let us know how you celebrate your Independence. I will be cooking chickens on an open fire in the back woods of Maine and I plan to share the pictures and stories next week, but I really want you all to contribute, so please send me those pictures and stories.
If we use anything you send us, you will get your very own, limited edition Bone Bag Hat, sent to your front door. So then you can proudly let your friends know how you contributed to the story of how we celebrated Independence Day here in America. I know we have a lot of followers from around the world, so please do not feel left out. The spirit of Independence is in all of us, every time we leave the stoves and microwaves for smokers and rotisseries. Let me know what you cooked this week, who you spent time with, what you drank and most importantly how you pulled yourself away, if only for a day.I wish you all a very happy Independence Day.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I look forward to hearing from everyone about my blog and with suggestions for future visits! Thanks so much for spending some time in The Bone Bag