Labor Day 2018 Part 2
As we turn our calendars over to the month of September, a lot changes besides just the picture on the page. The air changes, it starts to have a crisper feel in the mornings. There is a hint of color showing as you travel the roads in the Northeast, no the leaves have not turned yet, but like a well trained military squad, the maples send out a few brave leafs to act as advance scouts, leading the way to a full blown fall color change.
This year, after spending day one of the weekend attending the WV BBQ Festival, my son was more determined to show his smokers prowess to his family and friends who gathered to say good by to summer at his home in Harpers Ferry, WV. I decided that this would be a great time to highlight the home smoker, that hearty bunch of men and women who sacrifice a good nights sleep to make sure that 24 hour brisket is smoked to perfection.
Do you need the fancy store bought smoker to do the job? Nope. Almost anything can be converted into a smoker. I have seen trash barrels, oil drums, propane tanks and even your gas grill can be shown a whole new way to cook with just a few additions. We started with a Weber grill and added a smoker box to it. Using hickory and pecan pellets we smoked a beef brisket for 24 hours, a pork shoulder for 15 hours (ham) and sausage for 8 hours.
My words cannot do this justice, all I can say is that he hit a grand slam on this effort. I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story and I will leave you with this advice, if you love the taste of smoked BBQ, than don't just eat out, step up and try it. The web is an amazing place and so many pit masters are out there willing to share there secrets that you just need to try it. Tony's first brisket was a complete failure, so what, it happens. Did he give up, did he turn vegetarian? Hell no. He ventured head first back in to the smoke again and again. In my opinion, he reached perfection this weekend!
Next week we are back in Massachusetts and headed for a day trip to the new MGM Casino in Springfield. Along the way just happens to be Bubs BBQ, where pigs (at least one I know of) really do fly! See you thru the smoke!
No comments:
Post a Comment
I look forward to hearing from everyone about my blog and with suggestions for future visits! Thanks so much for spending some time in The Bone Bag