Flying Pig
The Bone Bag was on the road in Western Massachusetts in search of, as always, a cold beer, a glass or two of wine, and of course some savory smoky goodness. The trip took us out the Mohawk Trail to Greenfield MA where we headed south and found Lefty's Brewing Company. While I don't normally write about non BBQ items here, I did feel the need to mention Lefty's. Located in Greenfeld, MA
Lefty's Brewery has an awesome little tap room where you can enjoy a flight of beers from the brew house behind the tap room. They have some crazy concoctions including a coffee chocolate stout that will become your favorite cold brew coffee, just don't get caught pouring it into your Dunkins Cup before work, I am certain your boss would frown on that!

Enough about beer, (did I just say that), and on to
Bubs BBQ in Sunderland, MA. This place is simply amazing for so so many reasons, starting with the tag line for the business..."Pig out in Style" How can you not love a place that encourages you to Pig Out!!!! These folks have been serving up BBQ for almost 40 years and the moment you step in the door you will understand why.

Crazy eclectic signs and "stuff" adorn the walls all around you, you could spend an hour just checking out the decor. Talk about an American BBQ Success story.
Bubs BBQ
Bubs was started on the most American of Days, July 4th in 1979 by Bub Tiley. The company has continued a tradition that keeps the place packed most days. Like the U-Tube sensation song "Lil Bub" says, I've been waiting for a cat like you". Warning, if you google up this song you may be singing it for days (you've been warned). You gotta check out this little Bub at

My dining partners on this trip, (I was delighted to take a couple of Bone Bag Fans along for this trip) and I, wanted to try everything and I think we may have succeeded. The table was filled with St Louis Style Ribs, Beef Brisket, Chicken & Sausage Gumbo, Catfish, Kielbasa (Blue Seal Brand, the very best there is) and Pulled Pork. We also may or may not have had Fried Green Tomatoes and Hush Puppies. Honestly, as I went into a food coma and my friend Jamie began having the meat sweats, we may have missed an item or two. Dinner for 4 with food for 8. My kind of place!
The BBQ was terrific but I feel I need to tell you about the sides. This is no ordinary BBQ Joint my friends. You all know about the sides at most places, pick one or two and some cornbread right? Well not at Bubs. They have a sides Buffet that is all you can eat and you can start before your BBQ makes it way out to you! There is something for everyone here, it's like the "side dish fairy" has come down from BBQ heaven, slapped you on the face and screamed...eat poppa eat!


Allow me to take you on a tour of the side dishes, all of which somehow found a home on my plate (some more than once if truth be told). Collard Greens, Pickled Beats, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Hickory Smoke Potatoes, Dirty Rice, Corn on the Cob, Potato Salad, Succotash, Pasta Salad with Feta, Soups and Mac and Cheese. Just imagine loading your plate and then they call your name to come get the meat that you ordered prior to seeing the sides. Like Chief Brody said, "we're gonna need a bigger belly" or something
like that.

Oh yes, lest I forget the reason for the name of this weeks blog. When you arrive at Bubs and get past looking a the walls and the giant menu board, you make your way to the counter to place your order. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful and they will walk you through the vast list of options available to you. Once our order was written down, it is clipped to a pig on a zip line and whizzed along to the pit-masters to begin chopping away! Check it out and you will see, once again, how little it takes to amuse me. Shiny objects, The Smell of Smoke rising from the pits and Pigs on a Zip Line. Bubs has it all. Bring your appetite and if your traveling a distance, bring a cooler for the left overs!
Today is the first day of fall, the leaves are beginning to turn and I am sure
Bubs BBQ (being located in the beautiful Pioneer Valley of MA) will be packed so plan ahead. You simply have to try this place!
No comments:
Post a Comment
I look forward to hearing from everyone about my blog and with suggestions for future visits! Thanks so much for spending some time in The Bone Bag