Commonwealth in the Commonwealth

Did you know that hidden in Massachusetts is a little place called Wampum Corner? OK, neither did I until yesterdays road trip took me there. Just off route 495 in the town of Wrentham, little Wampum Corner officially now makes up part of a Holy Trinity for me. At the risk of being struck by lightning by the real Trinity, I also call Neal Peart, Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee the Holy Trinity of Rock and Roll (Rush) and now I have found a five mile stretch that includes the Home of The New England Patriots, Massachusetts only current Gambling Casino and a place called @Commonwealth BBQ. It truly gets no better than this my friends. Foxboro is almost a sure thing every home game, Plainridge Casino is a sure thing in regards to fun (winning money for me, not so much) and Commonwealth BBQ is a sure thing to satisfy the carnivorous desires of any one who stops in.
What a find this was, a true road side BBQ Joint if ever there was one. Smokers attached to side, stacks of wood out front, picnic tables under a crazy looking 1950's style triangular roof extension (good thing because we did hit rain) and a constant flow of customers picking up to-go orders. This
has all the markings of my kind of no frills joint that specializes on 2 things, fast friendly service and mouth watering meats, smoked to perfection.

As my readers have come to know, I am a beef rib nut and you can't imagine my joy at reading the crazy huge menu board above the windows to find Texas Style ribs. Yup, from the moment I pulled in I knew, it was going to be a good day in the Commonwealth. Lets start with the name Commonwealth BBQ. A commonwealth is a traditional English term used to describe a place that was founded for the common good of the people. Well done on the name because this place is for everyone! If you can't find
something on this menu that satisfies your desires, you are reading the wrong blog.

I did not get to meet the pit master on my visit but I was assured by the staff that he spent many years traveling the country in search of the best smoking techniques and styles, to bring them back to Wampum Corner. If you have ever stopped at the many road side joints that pop up along the highways south of the Mason Dixon line, you will understand what they have done here. I
congratulate you on your efforts, you have truly brought a piece of the south back to the Commonwealth of MA.

My dining partner is always telling me I do not show chicken enough love in my blogs, and she is right, so I suggested that she get the Chicken Wings and I would sample them. How was I to know that they were going to hand us a basket full of baby pterodactyl legs, these things were meaty and huge and cooked to perfection. We had them dry and used the sweet sauce and the mustard sauce as a dip. If you are a fan of wings,
these are excellent.

There, I did my part I spoke nice about chickens, now let's get to the meat of the story. Beef ribs that would make Fred Flintstone jealous, cooked with just the right blend of spices to allow the smoke to become the focal point. The meat literally was falling off the bone, which in some ways is a disappointment in that I love nothing better than watching peoples faces as a grown man sits gnawing on a bone like a dog in heat. OK, maybe I did that anyway, but you weren't there and we have no video proof so maybe it did not
happen.
I had a side of Cowboy Beans and let me tell you, these may have been the best tasting bean dish I have ever had. They were served in a tomato based broth with pork and onions mixed in. The flavors that burst forth from this little side dish were simply amazing and you must try it. Dipping the home made corn bread chunk in the beans was an added bonus. We are not taking some small muffin here, this is a square hunk of cornmeal goodness. Couple all that with
peppered collard greens and you got one hell of a platter.
When they yell out your order number, they say things like "number 30 half rack platter" and number "17 Pulled pork", when my order was up they said "Number 18 wings and a pile of meat" (they didn't need to say the number, I knew it was mine at pile of meat. Speaking of pile of meat, they have a Wampum Sampler that comes with over 5 lbs of food. It states on the menu big enough for 2+++ and since we only had 2 and I was told "Don't embarrass me", I refrained, but I give you my word, I will be back.
As my holy trinity of rock once sang, "The Blacksmith (Pit Boss) and the artist reflect it in their arts, forge their creativity, closer to the heart." The people at Commonwealth BBQ are true artist's and they are waiting patiently for you to find your way to Wampum Corner. Don't be late, they only sell fresh food and like any good roadside joint, when it's gone, it's gone. Go Now!
No comments:
Post a Comment
I look forward to hearing from everyone about my blog and with suggestions for future visits! Thanks so much for spending some time in The Bone Bag