Saturday, June 2, 2018

Take the Exit


Take the Exit

As you know from reading my blogs my second passion (behind food) is music and I have peppered each previous blog with a lyric from a song or a reference to a musician.  Today will be no different as I am reminded of Tom Cochrane's song "Life is a Highway" and Tom Petty's lyrics suggesting we "run down the kings highway".  This edition talks about travel the southern shore of the State of CT coming north out of the Big Apple on Rt 95.  If you have ever traveled this stretch of road you know it to be a four lane parking lot for about 23 1/2 hours a day.  I am told there is a point around 3:10AM that you can cruise at the speed limit until at least 3:40AM.

As Americans we are obsessed with the road trip, my family, to this day, loves to jump in the car and head out on one of Dad's adventures.  OK, so truth be told my kids are grown and I am speaking for them when I say they loved it.  Unless they comment otherwise, my word stands. It's good to be the king.

Along these stretches of highways, rest stops have evolved. Originally a place to pull of the road and take a quick snooze, stretch the legs, empty one tank and top off another.  Today, these rest stops are filled with food, from burgers and dogs to burritos and cheese sandwiches, and while all this may sound good on the surface, I am begging and pleading you to take the exit.  If your on 95 North take Tom Petty's advice and get on the Kings Highway (Rt 1).

If your lucky like me, you will find Joey C's Roadhouse in Milford CT.  The atmosphere here is worth the trip alone, from the fun and kid friendly indoor picnic tables to the cozy and very well stocked bar this place will take you back to the days of True Grit.  Owned by a husband and wife team, who says couples shouldn't work together (oh ya, I did), well in this case I was wrong.

So instead of standing in line at the rest stop waiting on a boxed Big Burger thing with three buns and thousand island dressing, we took the exit and Joey C made me a "Plan A" burger topped with smoked beef brisket, bacon and cheddar on grilled Texas Toast.  The fries that come with this burger are served with a house made Cilantro Dipping Sauce that will make you swear off ketchup for ever.  Trust me on this you should have thrown away your ketchup years ago (it's called adulthood) but I know some of you just can't let go.  Consider this sauce your ketchup nicotine patch.

This sauce is just the beginning as they make all their sauces with agave nectar, that gives them just the right sweetness to allow the flavors of the smoked meat to come bursting thru.  If you like it hot, and who doesn't, ask for the "Mean Green or Joey's Heat", both will have you talking like John Wayne (OK maybe walking like him if you know what I mean) and calling everyone pilgrim.

As you know by following my carnivorous adventures, there is always something more and at Joey
C's the more is a little thing called Aztec Fire Roasted Corn.  Oh my, corn on the cob has reached a new level with this baby.  Fire roasted on the cob, smothered in the Cilantro Sauce and baked with melted cheese on top.  Mom's you will never have to say eat your veggies again, you may even have to order more!

This place has live entertainment and the bar features drinks such as the "Slow Burn", a BBQ lovers name if ever there was one and to make you feel right at home with the Wild West Atmosphere, you can even get a "Tet-nus Shot" with Chili infused tequila.

Make sure you tell them you heard about them on the Bone Bag Blog and let me know what you all think.  Our travels continue this weekend in the state of CT where we will be at the Mohegan Sun BBQ Festival.  Next weeks edition should be a doozy, assuming my heart decides to stay with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from everyone about my blog and with suggestions for future visits! Thanks so much for spending some time in The Bone Bag

Ooooh oooh That Smell

In 2018, I started a blog known as The Bone Bag.  It was to be a celebration of three of my favorite things in life, Smokey Bar B Que, trave...