As we approach Memorial Day here in the United States, I thought it important to share a few thoughts on this special weekend. If you will indulge me a bit of seriousness for just a minute, I want to explain the true meaning of Memorial Day. It is a day of remembrance of those men and women who paid the ultimate price for the freedom we have, the freedom to gather together on weekends and enjoy the companionship of friends and family. The freedom to eat and drink and laugh and enjoy all we hold dear in our hearts. It is also a most solemn day, not the time to thank someone for their service, there are 364 other days a year to do just that, it is their day to remember their lost friends and brothers and sisters in arms. So this year, as we head into the weekend, please keep in mind that our brave men and women of the armed forces see this day as so much more than just an excuse to BBQ, it is a day to remember the lost, please be respectful of the day.
The Dietrich's story dates back to a farmers market table in 1957 and has grown to one of the largest establishments dedicated to the traditional food of Pennsylvania Dutch culture. This amazing store is just off exit 40 on I78 and if you are in driving distance, you should take a field trip, it will be so worth your time, but be sure to bring several coolers and bags of ice, you will not leave here empty handed- I know I sure didn't.
Picture a store with a butcher counter that spans the entire width of the building, and the coolers are filled with everything a BBQ enthusiast could ever ask for. We were greeted by the nicest people who were more than happy to show us around and point out the many specialty items that they sell, items that I have never seen in any butcher shop before. Oh! And one more tidbit... There are samples of almost everything they sell, so be warned, if you try it, you will buy it!
Lets talk smoked meats for a minute. Not only do they raise and process the animals, they also smoke meats on the premises. This includes selling ribs that just came off the smoker, still hot and ready to eat at 9AM!!! I am sure I will not do this justice and I will miss many items but here is my humble attempt at taking you thru the market. Smoke meat options include 13 different types of Bologna, such as Pork Roll, Buffalo Lebanon and Hickory Stick. Do you like sausage? How about samples of Garlic, Italian Sweet or Fresh Country? The kids into dogs on the grill? Try hand made German Wieners, Cheese dogs and Brats. Those are just some of the items available for your weekend events. Scrapple, which was once described to me as every part of a pig except the oink, sold by the pound in heavenly blocks just waiting to be sliced and fried to perfection. Never tried it? You my friend have not lived until you do! Did I mention they also sell Rocky Mountain Oysters?Before you call fowl, let me tell you about the smoked Turkey, Duck, Chicken and even goose that they have available? Oh, do I have your attention now? Good. Lets continue our flight of feathered festivity with Pheasant, Squabs and Guinea Hens. Maybe your taste is more into Quail or Partridge/ No worries, you can get those too.
Ok, but what about the BBQ staples you ask? Here we go...Pork, Lamb, Ribs, Brisket, Veal, Rabbit, Pastrami and every conceivable cut of beef you could ask for, along with almost a dozen variety's of cheese (you must try the onion Cheddar, its like onion dip in a block). What BBQ would be complete without the sweets at the end, Dietrich's has you covered there as well with Homemade Pies and Cakes like mincemeat, shoo-fly and black walnut pies as well as 7 different custard styles and 5 crumb pies! There are also a dozen cookie types and of course whoopie pies. Be sure to purchase the Amish Roll Butter (you have never tasted butter so good) and the Sticky Bun Bread (yes, it is exactly as it sounds picture a sticky bun with all its ooie gooie goodness in a loaf of bread).

I hope I did this wonderland justice, and the reason for posting this a week before the big BBQ weekend, is to allow you all the chance to get there or to go online to www.dietrichsmeats.com
so that you can have the kick off to summer your backyard deserves.
Stay tuned to next weeks blog when I will take you on a truly religious experience at Monks BBQ in Purcellville VA. A BBQ place that would make Thelonious Monk proud to play for and the Trappists want to pray for!

No comments:
Post a Comment
I look forward to hearing from everyone about my blog and with suggestions for future visits! Thanks so much for spending some time in The Bone Bag